Sometimes it’s really nice to take a break from the normal dinner rotation to let those rarely enjoyed breakfast favorites have a turn. This Breakfast Enchilada Bake fits that bill perfectly.
Recipe adapted from : @ https://lovelylittlekitchen.com
Yіeld : 8 servings
Prep Tіme : 10 mіns
Cook Tіme : 30 mіns
Totаl Tіme : 40 mіns
- 8 tortillas
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 pound sausage, browned and crumbled (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Chipotle Chilli Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Ground Cumin
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup diced avocado
- 3 stalks green onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with milk. Add salt. Pour the beaten eggs into a greased saucepan and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until they are scrambled, but still fairly moist. Set aside.
- If you want to add sausage to the filling, brown it over medium high heat in a separate pan as you are scrambling the eggs and then remove it from the heat and set aside.
- In the meantime, whisk the butter and flour together over medium high heat in a medium sized pan to make the cheese sauce. After whisking the butter and flour into a paste, continue to cook for one to two minutes whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. When the sauce has thickened slightly, add the salsa verde, spices, and cheese. Stir together until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the eggs, sausage and cheese sauce are ready, lay out the tortillas on your work surface, and divide the eggs, sausage and 1 cup shredded cheese evenly between the eight tortillas. Spread 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce on the bottom of a greased 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Roll the tortillas up and place them seam side down in the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining cheese sauce over the top of the tortillas, and then sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The edges of the tortillas will be golden brown and the cheese will be bubbly.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and add toppings as desired.