This easy recipe for baked cream cheese french toast casserole hits the spot in the morning and you can prepare it the night before!
Recіpe аdаpted from : @ https://sallysbakingaddiction.com
Yіeld : 12 servings
Prep Tіme : 30 mіns
Cook Tіme : 50 mіns
Totаl Tіme : 80 mіns
- 1 (12-14 ounce) loaf french bread, sourdough bread, or challah*
- 8 ounces (224g) brick-style cream cheese, softened to room temperature*
- 2 Tablespoons (15g) confectioners’ sugar (don’t leave it out, trust me)
- 3 teaspoons (15ml) pure vanilla extract, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 2 and 1/4 cups (540ml) whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup (133g) packed light brown sugar
- Streusel Topping
- 1/3 cup (69g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (42g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons (86g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- optional: fresh fruit, maple syrup, and/or confectioners’ sugar for topping
- Grease a 9×13 pan with butter or spray with nonstick spray. Slice then cut the bread into cubes, about 1 inch in size. Spread half of the cubes into the prepared baking pan. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the room temperature (not cold!) cream cheese on medium-high speed until completely smooth. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract until combined. Drop random spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture on top of the bread. Layer the remaining bread cubes on top of cream cheese. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, brown sugar, and remaining vanilla together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Pour over the bread. Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and stick in the refrigerator for 3 hours – overnight. Overnight is best.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Remove pan from the refrigerator.
- Prepare the topping: Whisk the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Cut in the cubed butter with a pastry blender or two forks. Sprinkle the topping over the soaked bread.
- Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown on top. I usually bake it for 45 minutes because I like it softer. Serve immediately. Cover leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.